Monday 8 February 2016

Mantras- The what, the how and the why



In this post I will be talking about mantras, what they are, my current favourite mantras and why they are useful.

WHAT IS A MANTRA?

'(originally in Hinduism and Buddhism) a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation'

I'm not going to waffle on too much about the history and meaning behind the word but I will tell you a little bit about it, just to cover the basics. 

So the word 'Mantra' is a word made up of two smaller words. 'Man' which translates to 'mind' and 'tra' which translates to 'transport' which I personally interpret as- escapism of the mind.

A mantra is commonly used in meditation to help keep the mind focused. It is a word or short phrase that you repeat to yourself over and over in your mind.

I personally use it to stop my mind from running away with negative thoughts and to keep myself focused.

MY CURRENT MANTRA FAVOURITES

These are the mantras that I have been practising over the last couple of weeks;

1. 'I am confident and I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about me'

I personally really struggle with confidence and anxiety and for those of you who suffer too, you'll know even a trip to the local shop is so mentally challenging. 

As you all know, I'm not the sort of person to get too deep with personal posts on my blog so it's quite difficult to express how I really feel without going too personal. But any of you can research into anxiety if you would like to.  

I basically feel that everyone around me is judging me, that everyone that looks at me is thinking something horrible about me and I feel very uncomfortable, even when I've made a proper effort with my appearance.

I have to repeat this is my mind to fake confidence and remind myself that these people are probably just looking at me just the same as they look at any other person. They're just taking in their surroundings. I try to remind myself how I sometimes look at strangers on the street and the thoughts that I have on these people are very brief and mean nothing to me at all. To be honest, I'm way too busy worrying what they think of me to even judge them.

And if they are judging me or thinking something nasty then who fucking cares, seriously? What they think of me says more about them than it does about me. And let's face it, these people are just strangers. Why should I even worry about their opinions?

2. 'I do not owe anyone "pretty"'

I got this quote from Shirley Bassey on Youtube and it really spoke to me. No one owes ANYONE pretty. You don't have to put on make up or brush your hair or look presentable for anyone. We have been brought up in a world where it's not acceptable to walk around with no make up on, especially if you don't look like bloody Natalie Portman. 

For me, this is especially hard because I struggle with acne and most people will honestly look at my make up-less face and think 'Jesus, she needs to cover that shit up' but why the fuck should I? The only person I should live to please on this earth is myself when it comes to my appearance and anyone that looks at me and judges me on the way I look should really sit down and re-evaluate their life.

It is going to take me a VERY long time to be comfortable with the way I look even with make up on, let alone without it. But as long as I work on it everyday, working on myself, I am taking a step in the right direction.

3. 'If you want it, work for it. You are capable'

This mantra has really helped me to stay focused with my uni work. I have been trying harder than I have ever tried before and I have been working really hard to maintain my motivation. 

I am at a place where I really need to work my butt off in order to get the grades I want in my degree. I've spent a lot of my life being told that I'm average and getting average grades but I know that I'm capable of getting more if I work hard enough. 


I hope you have all enjoyed this post! I really want to involve more posts on positivity and ways to improve your life and mindset so expect to see more of this :)

Until next time,

Jade x






No comments:

Post a Comment